Professional Practice Issues and Questions

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next >  Last >> 
  • 01 Oct 2009 2:31 PM
    Message # 225322
    Post professional practice issues, questions, and musings here!
    Last modified: 01 Oct 2009 2:31 PM | Robyn Flaum Cruz
  • 21 Dec 2013 9:55 AM
    Reply # 1462172 on 225322
    I was recently approached by someone looking for a supported dance class or dance therapy group for a 5 year old girl with musculoskeletal defects of her legs.  This little girl really wants to dance.  Does anyone have any resources or know of any groups that I can direct her to in the Philadelphia area? Thanks so much. 
    Last modified: 21 Dec 2013 9:55 AM | Jacelyn Biondo
  • 06 Jan 2014 7:44 PM
    Reply # 1469078 on 225322
    I currently work with children who are challenged by Autism Disorder. Some of them are presenting with aggressive behaviors like pulling hair, biting etc. I have difficulties building a therapeutic, trustful relationship with those clients since I am sincerely scared to get bit. Does anybody have experience with clients, who bite or feel threatening in other ways?
  • 11 Jan 2014 4:23 PM
    Reply # 1472875 on 225322
    I remember a while back hearing about someone who knew of a source for taps that one could attach to shoes. I am looking for something that would be easy to attach to shoes for a DMT group I lead for older adults who are mostly sitting.  Anyone remember any info about a source?  Thanks!
  • 12 Jan 2014 4:34 AM
    Reply # 1473067 on 1472875
    Pamela Faith Lerman wrote:I remember a while back hearing about someone who knew of a source for taps that one could attach to shoes. I am looking for something that would be easy to attach to shoes for a DMT group I lead for older adults who are mostly sitting.  Anyone remember any info about a source?  Thanks!
    Discount Dance Supply has Capezio teletone taps as well as a more inexpensive brand called Danshuz. discountdance dot com

• 12 Jan 2014 7:41 PM
    Reply # 1473461 on 225322
    Question: What is the average salary in Therapeutic Recreation Dept. in a hospital/rehab setting for a DMT/yoga teacher/therapeutic recreation planner?  I believe the position is per diem and/or hourly.  I am going for a job interview on Tuesday and have no idea what to expect salary-wise, or what to negotiate for.  I have been self-employed for many years.  This is a 54-bed inpatient setting for children with a wide range of primarily physical limitations of all kinds.    Your input would be greatly appreciated.
  • 12 Jan 2014 7:44 PM
    Reply # 1473462 on 1469078
    Britta Baghestani wrote:I currently work with children who are challenged by Autism Disorder. Some of them are presenting with aggressive behaviors like pulling hair, biting etc. I have difficulties building a therapeutic, trustful relationship with those clients since I am sincerely scared to get bit. Does anybody have experience with clients, who bite or feel threatening in other ways?
    What kind of setting are you working in? Are there other staff around? parents?
    Your safety IS important.  One thing I have done is set up the space so that there is physical space between me and the child, and finding other ways to connect besides proximity and or touch.  There is more I could say, but first i need to know where you are working.
  • 14 Jan 2014 9:14 AM
    Reply # 1474527 on 225322
    Hi Everyone,

I have worked in geriatrics for eight years, and currently work in long term care on a unit dedicated to late & end stage dementia. My residents are often discharged from PT because they no longer qualify or are failure to thrive. A number of my residents are on hospice, care and comfort. Most are nonverbal. 

Though my colleagues question whether they qualify for dance/movement therapy. I always say yes, of course, breath is movement. But my question is how engage in dance therapy with someone who has lost the ability to move (or control their movements), as well as the ability to talk? That is my challenge...and how to communicate what I am doing to my colleagues. 

Thank you!

Danielle Arana, MA, R-DMT
    Last modified: 14 Jan 2014 9:17 AM | Danielle Arana
  • 14 Jan 2014 4:00 PM
    Reply # 1474934 on 225322
    If you have several years' experience working with women with breast cancer, please contact me at pirouette03 at yahoo.com  Thank you.
    Last modified: 14 Jan 2014 10:09 PM | Beverley Dunn
  • 02 Feb 2014 12:22 PM
    Reply # 1488628 on 225322
    If you are doing DMT with people with dementia, Dr. Richard Coaten has sent the following request:

Dr Hannah Zeilig and John Killick have been commissioned to carry out an arts and health mapping exercise in relation to dementia...like a snapshot of what is happening in the field now. Dr. Coaten wants to use this as an opportunity to map who is doing what, where and how in relation to Dance Movement Psychotherapy and dementia...so... There is a document to be filled out which he will collate and send on to Zeilig and Killick.

Dr. Coaten requests that you take 15 mins of your time to complete the document. Please email Dr Richard Coaten <richardcoaten@hotmail.co.uk> and he will send you the document to be filled out.

Richard is an amazing resource to those of us who use the arts with older adults and people with dementia.

"In case you are wondering the relevance of this...our future success in the work we do, our ability to do it well and gain funding to do it (in these cash strapped times) is helped enormously when we communicate what we are doing, where and how and its outcomes. We become more of a community of practitioners in the process...for the benefit of all."

Sorry. I was unaware that this is a UK project only. I thought (maybe hoped) it was worldwide. Thanks to those who responded.
    Last modified: 04 Feb 2014 7:46 AM | Donna Newman-Bluestein
<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next >  Last >> 

EMAIL US   |   ADDRESS: 10632 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 108, Columbia, MD 21044

PHONE: 410.997.4040   FAX: 410.997.4048   |  Copyright ADTA 2009-2014 © All Rights Reserved

website by chrishillmedia.com