Professional Practice Issues and Questions

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 
  • 01 Oct 2009 2:31 PM
    Message # 225322
    Post professional practice issues, questions, and musings here!
    Last modified: 01 Oct 2009 2:31 PM | Robyn Flaum Cruz
  • 28 Jun 2013 7:09 AM
    Reply # 1328990 on 225322

Is it true that we need an image in order to move? I remember being taught this many years ago and assumed it to be true. Am now looking for sources for this information. It may have been Mabel Todd.

• 29 Jun 2013 10:28 AM
    Reply # 1329645 on 225322
    Hi Donna.....clearly we can move and create images from the movement itself....or not.   Mabel Todd did help one to work on the body by creating images that related to the parts that were being focused upon.
  • 30 Jun 2013 8:54 PM
    Reply # 1330355 on 1328990
    Donna Newman-Bluestein wrote:

Is it true that we need an image in order to move? I remember being taught this many years ago and assumed it to be true. Am now looking for sources for this information. It may have been Mabel Todd.

Hi Donna--I don't use imagery in my work, never have. Probably because in my own experience as a participant, when the group facilitator puts out their imagery it feels like it interferes with my process. If I'm going to have imagery while moving I prefer it to come from within myself. During the warm-up it can be ok, a less deep part of the session, but it feels intrusive as thematic material for me. My imagery is kinaesthetic: sensations, streamings, thrills, settlings, movement impulses and urges, delight in the sensations before, during and after the movements. My process occurs in the kinaesthetic sense most and best. I am not a visual person so imagery has not been part of my movement process, hence I don't include it in my work. Hope this is helpful--Best to you, Christine
  • 02 Jul 2013 6:42 AM
    Reply # 1331382 on 1330355
    Christine Hopkins wrote:

Hi Donna--I don't use imagery in my work, never have. Probably because in my own experience as a participant, when the group facilitator puts out their imagery it feels like it interferes with my process. If I'm going to have imagery while moving I prefer it to come from within myself. During the warm-up it can be ok, a less deep part of the session, but it feels intrusive as thematic material for me. My imagery is kinaesthetic: sensations, streamings, thrills, settlings, movement impulses and urges, delight in the sensations before, during and after the movements. My process occurs in the kinaesthetic sense most and best. I am not a visual person so imagery has not been part of my movement process, hence I don't include it in my work. Hope this is helpful--Best to you, Christine

Thank you, Sharon and Christine.
    I was thinking about the more subtle, maybe minute internal imagery that might motivate rather than an external image. I have gotten responses on other list serves that suggest some people think of imagery as being kinesthetic as well. I love how you describe it. As I read and learn more, I think that images are visual, and that they are not the only thing that motivates movement. - This is very helpful. Donna
  • 03 Jul 2013 8:41 AM
    Reply # 1332367 on 1331382
    Christine Hopkins wrote:

Thank you, Sharon and Christine.
    I was thinking about the more subtle, maybe minute internal imagery that might motivate rather than an external image. I have gotten responses on other list serves that suggest some people think of imagery as being kinesthetic as well. I love how you describe it. As I read and learn more, I think that images are visual, and that they are not the only thing that motivates movement. - This is very helpful. Donna

Hi Donna,
    In Authentic Movement, Janet Adler talks about how imagery is implicated in movement. Sometimes the mover becomes an image (an animal), is inside an image (on the beach) or interacts with an image (holding something in the hand). I can't remember in which of her contributions I found it,  but I cited it in my article on Authentic Movement and the Autonomic Nervous System (AJDT- spring 2012). Sometimes the mover constructs the image by moving, sometimes the image arrives then moves the mover... :)
    Wishing you well,
    Jennifer

• 04 Jul 2013 10:25 AM
    Reply # 1333130 on 225322
    As a DMT intern I am wondering if I can receive supervision hours in my private practice (MFT)?  If I have a C-DMT that can be present on site for the required amount of hours, then  can I do off site supervision for the remainder of hours?  I understand there needs to be so many "group" hours and  I have the availability of 5 children clients and could do a group at my own practice.  I am seriously looking for an inpatient or outpatient setting but unfortunately have had no luck in Sacramento, CA.  My thoughts are I could begin working individually with a supervisor until I find a site available for inpatient, then combine the experience to fill the 750 hours needed for internship hours?  Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.  (chartocchi@gmail.com)
  • 06 Jul 2013 4:03 PM
    Reply # 1334458 on 1333130
    Charline Tocchi wrote:As a DMT intern I am wondering if I can receive supervision hours in my private practice (MFT)?  If I have a C-DMT that can be present on site for the required amount of hours, then  can I do off site supervision for the remainder of hours?  I understand there needs to be so many "group" hours and  I have the availability of 5 children clients and could do a group at my own practice.  I am seriously looking for an inpatient or outpatient setting but unfortunately have had no luck in Sacramento, CA.  My thoughts are I could begin working individually with a supervisor until I find a site available for inpatient, then combine the experience to fill the 750 hours needed for internship hours?  Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.  (chartocchi@gmail.com)

Dear Charline,

Great question: please see the DMTCB Advisory's Page to download the BC-DMT Application Packet. In it, you'll find the information that I have pasted below, and much, much more! Here is the link: http://www.adta.org/Advisories

"3. Private Practice which meets the following criteria:
    a) R-DMT’s who have clinical state licenses in another mental health profession may accrue a maximum of 2,440 hours towards the BC-DMT level of credentialing in supervised private practice, consulting and independent contract work settings, provided they receive 60 hours of supervision by a BC-DMT with a minimum of 8 hours of supervision being on-site or video-taped sessions. The remaining 1200 hours must be in an institutional, or team-based treatment setting. Completion of the minimum of 10 hours of clinical supervision hours during the 1200 hours is also required."

Please note that you must file a letter of intent prior to accruing the Private Practice hours.

***Please note that Charline has a professional license in a related mental health field which allows her to obtain part of the required hours in this manner. Please contact the DMTCB if you have additional questions or concerns!

Best Wishes!

Ty Tedmon-Jones, ADTA Secretary

Last modified: 06 Jul 2013 4:11 PM | Tyler (Ty) Tedmon-Jones
  • 09 Jul 2013 11:13 PM
    Reply # 1337082 on 225322
    Seeking dance/movemen therapist working with patients who have Parkinson's - in San Diego area, California. Please respond to: movingtheself@verizon.net
    Thank you.
    Last modified: 09 Jul 2013 11:14 PM | Patrizia Pallaro
  • 12 Jul 2013 6:40 PM
    Reply # 1339196 on 225322

interested in finding BC-DMT in private practice in DC area for young woman recovering from an eating disorder.

oiffice need to be accessable by public transportation

contact Susan Kleinman @skdmt2@bellsouth.net

<< First  < Prev   1   2   3   4   5   ...   Next >  Last >> 

EMAIL US   |   ADDRESS: 10632 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 108, Columbia, MD 21044

PHONE: 410.997.4040   FAX: 410.997.4048   | Copyright ADTA 2009

website by chrishillmedia.com